Recently in 2nd Grade Tech
- Creating custom characters
- Adding custom audio and sound effects
- Creating characters that interact and act on conditionals
- Utilizing broadcast blocks to create character interactions
- Adding parallel scripts
- Adding conditional changing backgrounds
- Problem-solving in unique, authentic, and wholly independent ways
In ScratchJr, students have been adding more complex layers to their projects, including:
2nd Graders have been learning of Safe Browsing online, including the Three Safety Rules:
- Always ask your parents or teacher first.
- Only talk to people you know
- Stick to places that are just right for you
We recently took a Virtual Field Trip to explore different places throughout the world. Students explored these places online that were "Just right for them" and then wrote about it.
The websites students visited included:
- Students have explored creative computing and programming through ScratchJr. Our most recent project was to Interview a Classmate.
See the awesome projects students created by clicking here.
Students have also been learning programming basics through the use of Code.org.
Go to deboyace.com/code2 for the student log-in page.
2nd Graders typed and illustrated their Personal Narratives! In collaboration with their Library Class students wrote a Personal Narrative and then typed and illustrated it in Computer Tech.
Click here to see their finished Personal Narratives(Please request access first)
2nd Graders have also been learning to Copy & Paste. Most recently students downloaded and completed this document: deboyace.com/copypaste.
See student's Toontastic project from the 1st semester at deboyace.com/toontastic.
2nd Grade Program Overview
The 2nd Grade Technology Program at Cherry Valley-Springfield includes a once a week meeting in the Elementary Computer Lab.
The main objectives of the program include:
Responsible Computing - Lab Rules
We always start off the year reviewing how to properly utilize the computer lab, including responsible and ethical use of technology. This often includes modeling proper behavior and procedures before we start. See an example here.
Computer Parts and Microsoft Paint
We start off the year in 2nd grade with becoming familiar with Computer Parts.
- BrainPOPJr - Parts of a Computer
- "Good Computer - Parts of a Computer
- Microsoft Paint Introduction - learn shape tool, color selection, pencil tool, text & eraser
- Free Draw Day
- Give computer part and have students draw and build an entire computer
- Knowing key vocabulary like Tower, Monitor, Keyboard, etc. (see below for full Vocab list)
- Learning basic image creation tools to draw a computer
- Choosing a computer part and drawing it in Microsoft Paint
- Being able to match terms to parts, and defining words
In this unit students will be introduced to the realistic dangers of the internet, while critically analyzing how to use the internet safely and responsibly.
Internet Safety Pledge
Introductory Lesson - Students compare real-life field trips to digital ones - while comparing and contrasting rules to follow and dangers to be aware of.
Internet Safety Comic Strip creation
We spend a tremendous amount of time in 2nd grade becoming familiar with Word Processors - most notably Microsoft Word. This gives us the ability to know the ins and outs of the program for our educational needs down the road.
Our main goals:
- Typing, manipulating text size, color, style.
- Adjusting to correct line - hitting enter to go to next line
- Inserting images
- Aligning images to correct spot
- Copy and pasting content
- Understanding proper formatting, including Header, Footer, Paragraphs, etc.
- Saving our work properly to a network location
- Printing to the correct network printer
- Library "Personal Narrative" Project
- Cut and Paste Computer Parts
- Cut and Paste Opposites
- My Spring Break
- 2nd Grade Super Hero Project
- Vocab review Doc at deboyace.com/vocab
Students will be introduced to making a slideshow presentation by using Microsoft Office PowerPoint. They will be exposed to the dynamic nature of slideshows, text and image manipulation. Students will ultimately create an ABC Slideshow that they will publish!
We often will do activities on the side to collaborate with in-class activities, while
enforcing work we do within the classroom. Wordle is a great example of that.
Please see our classes work from the 2014 to 2015 school year, by
Some word cloud web-based software includes Wordle and Word Clouds.
If time throughout the school year, students will be exposed to a number of fun and engaging pre-programming games to learn how computers think
2nd Grade Vocab